The future of hot melt adhesives: Prospects for the adhesive industry 2018 and beyond!
First, what is hot melt adhesive?
Hot melt adhesives are thermoplastic materials composed of stabilizers, additives, pigments and polymers and are sold as solid, cylindrical rods or pellets. The sticks are melted and applied using a hot melt spray gun or sprayer.
2. Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are organic compounds that volatilize or release into the atmosphere during manufacturing. On a global scale, there are more and more regulatory issues regarding VOCs and their impact on health and the environment. A key market advantage of hot melt adhesives is that they are not considered VOCs.
3. Hot Melt Assembly The hot melt consists of three main components: a high molecular weight polymer, a binder, and a plasticizer.
(1) A polymer is the main adhesive.
(2) Tackifiers or resins provide more adhesion and wetting properties.
(3) The ability of plasticizers (wax or petroleum) to control viscosity and small machinery is easy to dispense. Fourth, the type of polyolefin The most common hot melt adhesive is vinyl acetate (EVA). Styrene-butadiene is the second most popular. Other categories include polyamides, thermoplastic polyurethanes and polyolefins (PO).
5. What company produces hot melt adhesives?
Six companies account for a large share of hot melt adhesive production: Dow Chemical, 3M, Avery Dennison, Henkel, Sika AG and H.B. Fuller. Most analysts expect the industry to be further integrated in 2018 and beyond.
Sixth, solvent-based adhesive
Solvent based adhesives have traditionally been used in the automotive, furniture and construction industries. A solvent is used as a base liquid for dissolving the binder-forming polymer. Depending on the type of solvent used, you may need to use a solvent-based adhesive with a brush, reel, spray, or other. Some solvents are flammable, many are toxic, and special precautions are required for cleaning and handling. The solvent evaporates quickly and may require special methods for cleaning after use.
Seven, the environmental problems of solvent-based adhesives
Solvents can harm the environment and our ecosystem in a number of ways:
(1) Soil pollution The solvent dissolved in the soil eventually contaminates the groundwater. Plants and animals die, and solvent waste can contaminate drinking water.
(2) Water pollution dispersion (emulsion) adhesives cause special problems when entering the environment. Wastes released by solvent-based adhesives do not readily dissolve in water. Solvent contamination in water can also harm wildlife.
(3) Air pollution Inhalation of solvent-borne smoke poses serious health risks, including asthma and lung disease. Solvents that enter the body are usually stored in the adipose tissue of the brain and have an adverse effect on cognition.
8. Hot melt adhesives and environmental protection hot melt adhesives do not contain solvents.
Hot melt adhesives use water to dissolve the polymer. This is another reason why many different industries are moving from solvent-based products to hot melt. Hot melt adhesives produce little pollution and have no effect on the environment. Unlike solvent-based adhesives, you don't need any special ventilation and are not flammable. The price is very low, so it reduces costs for high-volume industries like construction and packaging. Therefore, governments, regulators and environmental organizations all support the use of hot melt adhesives on solvent-based products. Preferential policies formulated by governments around the world will continue to help increase the use of hot melt adhesives, and the market share of hot melt adhesives is expected to come at the expense of solvent based adhesives.
Nine, other advantages of hot melt adhesive
The excellent combination of hot melt adhesives and fast adhesion applications make hot melt adhesives particularly suitable for multi-purpose packaging applications. The shelf life of hot melts is much longer than solvent adhesives.
Ten, the global hot melt adhesive market
1. Asian markets India and China are likely to be high-growth markets for hot melt adhesives. The furniture and construction industry, coupled with continued investment in infrastructure and manufacturing, is expected to drive growth in the adhesives industry there. In 2016 and 2017, demand in the furniture and construction industry is strong and trend forecasts continue. Hot melt adhesives have become the primary use of these industries.
2. South America In 2015, the total value of the South American hot melt adhesive market exceeded US$101 million. The market value for the next two years is expected to be $149 million, which is nearly 8% CAGR. In Brazil, due to its strong manufacturing, as well as Mexico, Argentina, Colombia and Chile, the main growth area for hot melt adhesives will be in Brazil. The main market segments include packaging, automotive, electronics, textiles and footwear.
3. In the United States in 2015, the US hot melt market was worth $6 billion. Researchers expect this number to reach at least $9.4 billion in the next five to six years. By 2024, this figure averaged 5.2%.
4. Europe expects that by 2018, Europe's hot melt income will be close to $2 billion. Industry forecasters believe that this annual 5.52% CAGR will continue until 2023. In Europe and most other regions, packaging and paper account for 30% of the adhesive market. Healthcare and transportation account for the second largest share of the market. Germany is Europe's most famous user of hot melt adhesives, accounting for more than 23%. The UK is expected to be the fastest growing industry by 2023, with CAGR expected to exceed 6.2%.
1. Automotive Industry China's hot melt industry will be the fastest growing industry in the automotive industry. Automotive manufacturing uses hot melts in a wide range of applications. The use in cars and trucks is particularly attractive because of the hot melt properties including resistance to weather and chemicals. The car company uses hot melt seat trim, exterior trim bonding, door sealant and more. Amorphous poly-olefin hot melt adhesives are the most popular type of automotive use because of their high UV protection rating. Globally, the use of hot melt adhesives in this area will increase, but the expansion of China's auto manufacturing industry will increase the use of hot melt adhesives in the next 5-6 years. Experts predict that by 2024, China's income will reach 50 million US dollars.
2. Construction Industry For decades, the construction industry has relied on solvents to meet the demand for adhesives. Hot melt has begun to replace solvent-based products. The construction industry is an area predicted by industry observers, and the use of hot melt will grow rapidly, exceeding the expected growth rate of other industries.
3. The packaging industry is the main market for hot melt adhesives. In the packaging industry, hot melt adhesives will continue to expand and grow with packagers. Industry observers pointed out that by 2024, the packaging industry's hot melt income will only reach 3 billion US dollars, and will reach a compound annual growth rate of 5.5% per year. From 2016, it will continue until 2017, 2018 and beyond. Smaller consumer food packaging, due to a larger number of one and two people's homes will also increase the demand for hot melt.
4, pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) paper diaper sealing tape is a large part of pressure sensitive adhesive, hot melt adhesive market. Pressure sensitive adhesives are also required inside the aircraft. Over the next five years, experts predict that one-off products will generate $1.6 billion in revenue for the hot melt market. The global market for baby diapers, adult urinary incontinence and feminine hygiene products is increasingly urging the government to impose strict disposal regulations and laws. Hot melt adhesives eliminate many processing problems for manufacturers. Most people are still very optimistic about the use of hot melt adhesives in the industrial sector in the next five years and beyond.
5. The regulatory environment in the printing industry today requires more information to be displayed on the label. Therefore, the demand for printed labels using hot melt adhesives may increase in 2018 and beyond. A booklet label that asks you to strip the surface of the label to display text related to the contents of the box, package, or item, requiring an adhesive. Hot melt adhesives meet these needs without any environmental concerns or application problems. Many advertisers are tagged through marketing. This trend is likely to continue, and in this market, the revenue of hot melt products will increase.
6. The impact of the growing corporate responsibility movement Small businesses and large companies are under increasing pressure to conduct business in an environmentally responsible manner. This trend has increased significantly in 2017 and is likely to continue in the foreseeable future. Switching to hot melt, or looking for a combination of hot melt instead of solvent or other methods, is a simple and cost-effective way to demonstrate a commitment to the environment. Hot melt insiders believe that considering the non-contamination of hot melt adhesives, the company will find that the use of hot melt adhesives has not been confirmed.
7. Bio-production Several companies, including 3M, have been focusing on the development of bio-based hot melt adhesives. Bio-based production methods will help to further consolidate the company's market share in the hot melt market.
8. Coating Weight The weight of clothes refers to the amount of bonding of each item. Companies that produce adhesive dispensing systems, such as pneumatic melters, have several tools and options to reduce the coating weight of hot melt adhesives. This trend has attracted attention in all hot melt industries, including packaging, labeling and construction. This will affect the demand and in some cases drive it because the cost of hot melt is relatively low, especially compared to other adhesives.
9. Factors that inhibit the growth of the hot melt industry Market fluctuations in raw materials may adversely affect the development of the hot melt industry. The rising prices of natural polymers such as asphalt, rubber and starch may push up the price of hot melt products. Fluctuations in oil prices can also have a considerable impact on thermal melting. Asphalt natural rubber and resin are the polymeric materials used by hot melt producers, and as the cost of petroleum increases, so does the price. Twelve Final Conclusions Some market-inhibiting factors may reduce most analysts' optimism about the 2018 hot-melt future, and these factors seem negligible. For example, most oil industry analysts predict that oil prices will fall and oil prices will fall slightly below 2017 levels. This indicates the bright future of the hot melt adhesive industry.
Finally, industry futurists believe that other uses of hot melt adhesives will be discovered and utilized to further support analysts' claims for stability and substantial growth.
Hot tags: wholesales memory foam pillow, cheap price china factory foam pillow, bamboo cover sleeping foam pillow, innovation foam pillow